Wednesday, March 24, 2021
Dear Big Sandy Resident,
We are a local group working with the Town of Big Sandy to raise funds for a new pool. The current pool is barely holding on; if something is not done soon, there will be no pool in Big Sandy. Among the major problems associated with the current pool are the following:
- an inability to meet state water circulation requirements,
- failure to comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act,
- water leakage requiring replacement of the pool liner,
- pump filter problems requiring significant structural repairs, and
- health concerns over water/sewer infrastructure problems.
Over many years, the town of Big Sandy has spent approximately $250,000 in temporary solutions to on-going problems. These short-term fixes are now in need of a permanent solution, in other words, a new pool.
A new pool will maintain and expand the benefits of having a pool in our community:
- summer recreation for hundreds of children and families,
- PE classes for school children and teens,
- recreation and therapy for developmentally challenged adults at the Big Sandy Activity Center,
- recreation, therapy, and exercise for seniors and the physically challenged,
- life-saving swim lessons for dozens of children yearly,
- employment for a dozen youth as life-guards,
- training facilities for about 30 youth on the swim team, and
- competitive swim meets, with the economic benefits of welcoming hundreds of visitors.
For these reasons a group of Big Sandy residents are planning and raising funds for a new community pool. To relieve the tax burden of residents, we are raising funds from private donations and grants. Also, the Town of Big Sandy has joined with Big Sandy School District to create an interlocal agreement to support a new location, across from the cemetery.
Currently, over $70k of the $1.7 million needed has been raised. We need your help, so we are asking you to donate to this project. We appreciate every gift. All donations can be sent to the Town of Big Sandy and are tax deductible. The Town will deposit your gift into a trust account dedicated to the new pool.
To donate please complete this donation form and mail it with your donation to the address indicated on the form. We sincerely appreciate your kindness!
The Big Sandy New Pool Fundraising Committee
Diana LaBuda, Rich Jespersen, Shaud & Melanie Schwarzbach, Heather Pleninger, Dianna Keane, Lorrie Merrill, Ann Quinn
Dedicated to a healthy and growing community!